Monday, April 6, 2009

Burnday, the 8th of Greyeven 3725

Faeadaen gave me a delightful gift today, one that has turned something that had become an idle curiosity into a full blown interest again. It seems one of her many patrons is a man that came from Freeport, and he was once a Seadury Buccaneer - a pirate! To pay for his entertainment, he gave Fae a necklace made from antique pirate coins, which she has given to me!

It polished up nicely, though there is an obvious feeling of age to the coins still. As it is so old, I have decided that I will not wear it anywhere outside the city, as I would hat for it to be ruined in combat as I've had so many things get ruined in the past.

Of course, I've pulled out my old books about pirates and seafaring people, though I've heard of a book on Sirens that I do not currently possess. Acquiring a copy is going to be difficult, as I am told it can only be found within a village...on the coasts of the Enchanted Lands.

But, despite being a rather incomplete collection, I do have quite a number of stories and historical references about pirates of Norrath. I've found myself wandering down to the docks to read them, sometimes on the dock itself and sometimes within the Mermaid's Lure where many of the local seafarers drink.

I don't think I'd ever wish to be a pirate, but some of them are just so...romantic, and dashing. Even now, amid the urchin rabble I catch glimpses of someone a bit more dashing, a bit bolder than the others; I know there are many a swashbuckler within Qeynos, however it seems to be something they are...silently flamboyant about.

You can tell, you see, by their charms with women - or in the case of the lady swashbucklers, the women and the men - and their way of some how drinking all night without ever paying for more than a few mugs. In a way, they are more talented than a bard with their words, wrapping them in a smooth silk that melts even the hardest of hearts.

But sadly, they are quite particular about their lasses, and despite knowing I've been in the company or presence of at least one, none have taken notice of me. Then again, I've grown used to people meeting me and then immediately forgetting I exist - even if I'm still standing right there.

Fae tells me that this awkwardness I seem to possess will go away with time, that it's just one of the many trials those becoming adults face, however I've met other young elves, and none seem to be quite as...out of place. It's not like the renegade half elves kind of out of place, nor is it like the former Freeporter out of place...but it is extremely difficult for me to break through it as Fae says I will.

Both Kethelin and Savanthis tell me that I should concentrate more on my studies of nature, and not get caught up in the 'childish' notions of romance and emotion like Faeadaen has; they always remind me how horrible of an entertainer I was, and insist that such a profession is all I will be left with should I explore such notions at all.

Still...watching the occassional swashbuckler charming a lady makes me wonder if they're wrong about such things. Then again, it seems those two only have associates instead of friends, which is not something I wish. I would like to find friends, but those my age in Castleview and much of Qeynos seem to be quite cliquish or off on wild adventures.

I suppose I should stop dawlding and spend time studying in Archer's Woods. Though I've learned to call the wild spirit of a being out, there is quite a bit for me to learn before I can begin to study the higher paths of Nature...

...I'd rather go to the Lure and read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment