Monday, April 6, 2009

Steelday, the 17th of Stargazing 3725

I've begun frequenting a little tavern out in the sticks - a little place known as the Raven, Mythic. It's quite awkward to be there sometimes, as Qeynosian and Freeporter alike are welcome there; it's very difficult to ignore the dark ones when they're all over the bar and very vocal.

One particular Teir'dal woman has unnerved me. Twice during last eve, I attempted to aid someone, only to be cut off by this woman both times. The second time was most upsetting, as the strange high elf woman that had stumbled into the bar was quite fascinating...and one of my own damn kind. I'd already started ordering food for her, with the intent of paying for it, and this tart stepped in and told the server she would be paying for it.

I said to hell with it and left the bar - let the little tramp garner her attention and favour to better her position, as all these Freeporter Teir'dal do.

Prior to the second frustration with the Teir'dal woman, I overheard a conversation between a pair of half elves - a woman named Gallah and a man named Vahhn. The first was rather distant and jaded, and left the bar quickly; the second, however, proved useful.

I followed Vahhn up to his room, and explained that I had a few questions about some of the people he mentioned. It's become amazingly easy to assume a nervous and paranoid air when dealing with anyone concerning this matter, and I assume they believe I'm worried about catching Brodis' attention.

This Vahhn holds pieces of the puzzle that it seems the D`Narin's do not or care not to share - he knew Phenix after the man had become Areanna's protector.

He clarified a number of things for me, first that these Riders I was told about were a group known as the Wind Riders; I assume from the descriptions that they were inspired by the deeds of the Wind Runners and attempted to follow in their footsteps. The opposing group was known as the Shadow Striders, again I think that they were a group inspired by the more well known evils - the Shadow Sabers.

There was a bit of confusion when he said they were lead by the Imshee`Cro twins - I assumed he meant that this Areanna of Phenix' was a twin, when in fact she was the adoptive daughter of one of these twins he spoke of. Her "father" Faileas was the leader of these Striders and her aunt Sugan - one of Raenewae's wives - was in charge of the Riders.

After sorting that out a bit better, it occurred to me that perhaps the most important information this Vahhn could have would be about Areanna, her death, and Phenix' role with it all. So, I started digging there.

He knew quite a bit about the incident, though he'd not witnessed it. He'd been the one to play her funeral laments, and I almost hesitated in asking about her death. I didn't want to reopen any old wounds, but he seemed rather at peace about the situation.

From what he told me, Areanna and another of her guardians - someone Vahhn described as almost an angelic creature, with a complex name, often called Aen - had gone to the Plane of Corruption, a lesser plane of Bertoxxulos, to save her "father".

They were appearently ambushed upon their return to Norrath, and her aunt slaughtered both Areanna and her guardian. From what I could gather, Phenix was away when this occurred, and did not find out about the incident until it was far to late.

Vahhn says that Phenix fell into a deep depression for quite some time afterwards, and that a woman known as Stiyx masqueraded as Areanna for some time, no doubt causing even deeper grief for him. However, at some point, Areanna returned to Norrath and their small family was reunited.

Sadly, Vahhn lost track of them sometime after this occurred, so he was not sure of what became of Phenix.

On a gamble, I asked him if he recalled Brodis at all. He seemed to recall Brodis very well, with a visible dislike. Vahhn explained to me that from what he knew of this being, the demon was constantly after Areanna or her daughter Telian, somehow exerting a measure of control over them and a few others within the Striders.

Most dominately, this Vahhn remembered what it was like to fight against him - something that is incredibly useful to me. He described the demon, and the power that simply radiated from him, and gave me a general idea of exactly what I would be dealing with...I'm worried, but I plan on going through with the summons.

Without saying too much, I ran my theory past Vahhn, and he agreed that it sounded like something that Brodis would do - expecially since Telian had survived, and was alive and well today.

Though I was still curious about the events in the past, I felt that perhaps the little I had was enough for right then, as I didn't want to completely overburden Phenix with information. Vahhn offered to talk more once I felt Phenix could handle more, and perhaps have Phenix stop by the inn to visit when he was ready.

I'm...not quite sure if I'm ready to explain to Phenix how Areanna died, as he may blame himself for not being there to stop it. I suppose I might wait till after I speak to Brodis, but...its not going to be an easy conversation, ever.

Speaking of Brodis...I've a vial of fiendish blood to pick up...

No comments:

Post a Comment